First Look| Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick in Motorhead


Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick line ($21 each) is in stores at Sephora and I finally got the chance to swatch a few shades this past week. I picked up Motorhead as I love a good deep burgundy-black for fall and winter. 


The majority of the line is matte (with some...irridescent and sparkly finishes) and contains colors from polished nudes and pinks, to vibrant reds for every skintone imaginable, and to gothic blackened berry shades. I love a good matte lipstick that doesn't dry out my chronically reptilian lips, but it's quite a challenge finding them below a $35 price. Curse you Chanel...you've ruined me!!!

I can tell you right away that this formula didn't work for me on dry lip days (read: most days). "Infused with Vitamin A, C, and E" meant that the lipstick didn't feel drying on my lips. In fact, it felt very comfortable and light on the lips. However, anyone with lip lines, chapped and/or flakey lips? You're in luck to create the perfect corpse inspired Halloween look. 

Motorhead swatched on the drier side on skin but glides onto lips...and into lip lines. It smells faintly like vanilla ice cream or creme brulee when you apply it, though the cheap studded plastic casing turns me off. Also be forewarned that you seem to get less product than a typical lipstick bullet from other brands.

I've done some comparison swatches of similar colors and various textures and finishes for your reference below: 

This is indoor and natural lighting.


From left to right: KVD Motorhead, Urban Decay Revolution in Shame, Revlon Matte Balm Stain in Shameless, YSL Rouge Volupte Shine in 3, YSL Rouge Volupte in 12, Urban Decay Lipliner in Venom, Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain in Parisian Passion.

This is direct sunlight.


Another shot in direct sunlight for clarity.



And finally, outdoor natural lighting. I find that facing into my house I get the best lighting but the backdrop is bleak.


On a good day and with help from a lip brush, this lipstick is very long-wearing and comfortable on the lips. If you DON'T have chronically dry lips and can wear most matte formulas with ease, this line is going to be an instant hit. It's creamy enough not to tug but not too creamy that it would bleed outside of lip lines. Even with my chapped lips, it didn't cause anything to dry out or flake even further.

If you're on good terms with matte lipsticks, Motorhead is a beautiful vampy berry shade that's perfect for the fall season coming around the corner. It leaves a lovely lightened stain on the lips once the product does wear off. 

Overall, I won't be purchasing another shade from the line (even contemplating a return) because of how poorly it works with my lips. 

xo Be







No comments: