Review | Maybelline Color Tattoo Pure Pigments in Downtown Brown and Buff & Tuff

Now that I have hauled enough throughout the summer and had enough time to try all of my new products out,  it's time to get into loads of review!

I am an avid collector of Maybelline Color Tattoos because of their easygoing nature and creamy multidimensional texture. Now with the release of the Pure Pigments  in ten lovely metallic neutral ( as well as very shocking) shades, I have been wearing these loose shadows for a while and really enjoy them. They are a great drugstore alternative to MAC's loose pigments (which offers way too much, no way would I ever use any bottle up in my lifetime) and are a joy to use.

These pigments come in a little jar similar to their older sister but with a sifter for ease of application. You simply unscrew the top, dip your brush in, and apply straight onto the lids with or without a primer. Although they are loose powders, they are not prone to fallouts, to my surprise. They adhere very well onto any brush, be it fluffy or dense, and blend seamlessly wet or dry.

My eyelids are not oily and usually don't require primer, and these hold up without creasing for a full day. However, I would suggest an eye primer for most ladies regardless of which eyeshadow you're using.  Of course, they are not going to last a full 24 hour like Maybelline claims, but really? One must look past advertising falsehoods in any case.

Many other online reviewers have said that these are not ground breaking or amazing by any means, but I have to disagree. I haven't seen a product like this in the drugstore with this kind of quality before for less than ten dollars. Plus, the small amount of product means that you never have to worry about letting it go to waste. I think that applied on top of a good primer, these perform just as well as any mid range eyeshadow. Though the two shades I picked up are easily dupe-able, they are very pretty in their own way. If you're like me and just like a simple wash of color over the lid to pair with a winged liner, these are the way to go. I can dip my finger into the pot, smudge onto my lids, and go on with my day sans brush or mirror.

Now, on to swatches!


 2013-08-23 18.23.02


As you can see, they are pretty messy! It takes a lot of patience to work with loose powder, similar to wrestling small microscopic toddlers away from their toys. On the left is Downtown Brown, a lovely brown with gold shimmers. The right is Buff & Tuff, a sort of warm taupe. I am horrible with color description, but as you can tell they are neutrals that work with any and every skin tone.


2013-08-23 18.22.49


2013-08-23 18.39.07 2013-08-23 18.39.16


Again, you can see on my swatches that they are pretty pigmented after two layers.  At the right angle, Downtown Brown is also much more opaque. I think both are great colors for makeup newbies or those who want to add an extra pop in their school or work routine. Note how the colors change with different lighting and angles.


My final verdict is that you can definitely do without these, but they are fun to use, especially for a loose pigment. Downtown Brown and Buff & Tuff  are a great dupes for single eyeshadows from the Urban Decay's Naked and Naked 2 pallettes, if you think you only need a few colors rather than the whole range. I still prefer pressed eyeshadow since they aren't too messy, but you won't have to worry about powder fairies dancing on your cheeks with these.

Do you like loose powders or would consider them in any case? Let me know! Hope you're having a great weekend.

Be

No comments: