Review| MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation


MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation ($33) is my new go-to foundation for every day. I think MAC has been killin' the game with their foundation releases this year and this one is no exception.

Let's get to the point. Here are my thoughts.

Product: It's a very runny liquid consistency with no scent and SPF 30. I wouldn't suggest using a sponge. Fingers seem to be the best method to apply. Although it comes in a dropper style bottle that requires you to shake well, there's no drying alcohols in here that will accentuate dry skin concerns or pores. It could've been packaged in a sanitary squeeze tube but the dropper also makes it easy to apply on the skin (it squeezes!) and spread with fingers or a dense buffing brush. 


It squeezes product in and out of that little nub, so be careful that you point it towards your face and not your white silk shirt!


Coverage: I would say it has more coverage than their Face and Body foundation or your average tinted moisturizer, but less coverage than medium. It cancels out any noise on my skin (light hyper-pigmentation, broken capillaries, redness) but won't completely conceal a dark spot. Basically, it's a light to medium coverage foundation that can be layered but won't add more coverage. My skin has returned to its blemish-free bliss zone after battling with cystic spots for over a month, so this foundation is perfect for every day. I use one drop on either side of my face and one on the forehead. 






Color: I was really wary of shade match because the NC range leans very peach on my skin. NC30 looks fine with my NC35-40 chest, but it's not the closest match to my obviously olive/cool yellow neck. I don't care to blend down because the coverage is sheer enough to get away with this mis-match. I noticed that it oxidizes a half-shade darker than the color in the bottle. I will probably get another bottle in NC20 and mix it with a darker shade if needed once the winter comes. 

I also hear that the new Smashbox BB water is an exact dupe of this formula for a higher price (wut.) I remember that their Light is an olive/cool yellow NC20-25 or so, so you should give that one a try if you find this line too warm for your liking. 

See how the skin on my neck and face is not quite the same color? Macro shots are never flattering, but you can see how it has thinly cast a veil of magic over my broken capillaries. 


My chest and body is definitely very tanned. In the picture below I had just gotten a rash from eating lobster (oh, my poor tortured soul) from the last night and this foundation just GLIDES over textural problems. My skin FELT like I had a beard, but it looked presentable with this foundation.


Here's a shot in front of natural sunlight. Again, it's not dark enough to match my body but it matches my face and I wanted a lighter shade for fall. 


Finish: Make no mistake, it's a dewy finish foundation that should be set down with a powder or setting spray after application. It doesn't stay tacky or sticky to the touch, and it will last all day on my skin without setting, but it's a good extra step to take away shine from unwanted areas like the sides of the nose and between the eyes. It looks like healthy skin that's plump and youthful, rather than you dousing yourself in sparkle and highlighter. I choose to skip highlighter when I wear this foundation. 

Here is is freshly applied and this picture was taken in indoor lighting. I'm positively shiny. 

And here it is after I had finished the rest of my makeup and let it settle down on the skin. 


Lasting Power: Whether I set it or not, this foundation lasts all day on my skin and looks good, not just presentable, after 9 hours of wear. It seems to look better as the day goes on! It doesn't break up on my chin, or pool in pores by my nose, or fade away from my cheeks. This is the best part of this foundation as many light coverage/dewy foundations will break apart on my skin after 3-4 hours of wear no matter how diligently I set it. 

This is the foundation with a generous helping of Fix+ on top. Even with the extra moisture this foundation just won't break apart. 



Thoughts? ERMEGERRRGDDDDD RUN OUT AND GET IT NAOOOOOO. 

xo Be