Review| L'oreal Telescopic Shocking Extension mascara in Waterproof Black

2013-09-03 12.53.03

I am always on a quest for new wonder-mascaras, and as we all know, the drugstore actually has some great mascaras on par with high end brands. For me, a lengthening mascara that holds a curl and doesn't smudge takes the cake. Though I already have many great mascaras in my arsenal, I'm always looking for something that lengthens even more than it gives volume. I was a little wary of this, since my last rendezvous with the Maybelline Lash Stiletto mascara left me depressed and disappointed. While Maybelline's The Rocket and Falsies are both very well made and frugal choices, I needed something that would let me forego wearing false lashes. I picked this baby up for $7.97 at Wal-Mart. You can find it at a local drugstore or Ulta.

2013-09-03 12.53.59

The packaging is rather cute and whimsical. It looks like a tiny telescope. I'm not sure what the connection is with telescopes and eyelashes, but I'll go with it. Thinking about it, the name of this mascara is apt. The extension it gives to my lashes are indeed shocking, as is the amount of pain you receive if you accidentally poke yourself in the eye. One shaky hand movement and it feels like a thousand porcupine quills into the eyeball. This is why I was so in hate with the LashBlast mascaras hyped over years ago. It was big and dangerous, a bad combination especially for anything going near your eye. (Wow, that sounded almost dirty..)

2013-09-03 12.54.36

The wand itself is a skinny plastic brush with tiny little teeth, meaning you can also use it for bottom lashes for a doe-eye effect. Tiny little teeth grab onto the lashes and create false length when pulled upwards. It is also curved to the shape of your eyelid for easy application. The long and small brush also means I can reach into my inner eye corner and pull the lashes out.

The mascara liquid is thin but not watery and can be layered when wet. It is a little wetter than my Definicils but because of this, does a much better job of layering even when dry. I pull from root to tip without much wiggling of the wand, since I'm not trying to build volume. Of course, this doesn't clump unless you're over-eager and try to layer on five coats at once. It's better to just coax the length out at the very tip once you give everything the once-over.

The result is a very long lashed look that doesn't flake (like many fiber based mascara formulations) or smudge onto my undereye (like many cheap mascaras). If I'm feeling industrious, I like to curl before and after this mascara. If not, a light layer opens up my eyes in the morning. I think I will be holding onto this mascara and getting much more use out of it than any other one in my stash.

So, what do you think? Is this a drugstore treasure that I'm late to jump onto the bandwagon with?

Be

No comments: