Review | Maybelline Eye Studio in Copper Chic

2013-08-30 16.17.27 2013-08-30 16.17.09


I am not a drugstore eyeshadow person. When I walk by drugstore counters, my eyes automatically look for mascaras, foundation, and lipsticks, simply because the packaging for eyeshadows tend to be so cheap. In high school, a close friend used drugstore shadow quads and I always felt like they were too sheer or too chunky in the glitter department. The snob in me doesn't appreciate plastic caps that snap off when dropped.

However, after a few reviews on YouTube complimenting these Maybelline quads for their buttery texture, I figure it wouldn't hurt to give them a try. I picked mine up at Wal-Mart for $7.41 (so precise) but I believe they are below $10 at most stores.

Swatches: Refer to pictures below. These are taken under natural lighting indoors (oxymoron, but I have a skylight).

2013-08-30 16.18.23


Packaging: First I like how these include four shades (and a cursed foam applicator) for portability. From left to right, you have just enough colors to create two or three eye looks with dimension. For seven bucks, a mirror is too much of a demand, I guess.

Color: As I'm drawn to neutrals, I really enjoy the colors of the quad because they are not too cool or warm. The highlight shade is very subtle despite how it looks it the pan. The darkest color, a mauve-y warm burgundy, is not too dark for a daylight look. They are all sparkly (figures) rather than matte but not garish.

The payoff is noticeable and not shabby at all for a drugstore formula. The only problem is making these last, but a primer held them up for 4 hours and some fading after that mark.

Application: These do much better patted on in a precise manner and then blended out with a separate brush. They are liable to fly everywhere and cause fall-outs if you pack it directly onto a blending brush and go straight for the lids. In this respect the small foam applicator actually works well for inner corners and creases.

Overall, despite the cheap packaging, these are a step up from the drugstore eyeshadows I remember and abhor. I still wouldn't purchase another quad just for the hell of it, but if you're on a budget or want to add some shadows into your collection without breaking the bank, you can definitely rely on these.

Be

No comments: