Review| ByTerry Cover Expert Foundation in 7 Vanilla Beige




They should really rename the ByTerry Cover Expert Foundation ($66) to "Most Natural Looking Full Coverage Foundation You'll Ever Wear." 

I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger due to the price tag, but you do get 1.7 fl oz of this magical elixir. I still have twenty odd bottles in the fridge, waiting to be consumed, but they are never quite right. Some are too dewy, some are way too matte, some don't match me well, some are too obvious looking, some too sheer, etc. You get the point.

The most "Holy Grail" foundations for me are the Benefit Hello Flawless, the Tarte 12 Hour Full Coverage, Bourjois Healthy Mix, and MUFE Face and Body. I've used over half of every bottle which is a feat in itself for me. 


Cover Expert has perfected a balance of coverage and finish in a long wearing formula. Even though it's advertised as a matte, it's actually very natural looking and skin-like. I picked it up on Beautylish.com

Shade Match: Vanilla Beige 7 is a very yellow leaning NC25, a trait not often found in high end foundations. I am learning to let go of foundations that aren't quite yellow or olive enough. A demarcation between a peach face and green neck? Ew. 

Formulation: Cover Expert, for how thick it sounds, is actually on the runny side of things and can leak out of the squeeze tube if you store it standing on its cap. I would advise laying it flat in storage. The foundation itself spreads easily with your fingers and I find this to give the most flawless and even coverage. A brush or sponge soaks up the liquid much too easily. I use a pea sized amount for the entire face!

Packaging and Scent: The squeeze tube I just mentioned? Good enough for me. No, it's not a frosted glass bottle with a gold encrusted cap, but it's easy to travel with and easy to store. As for the scent, this is the real hit or miss: it smells like roses. 

No, real roses. I'm not talking about Dior's sometimes overwhelming foundation scents. ByTerry's scent profile is much more classic and subdued. I fall in love every time I put on the foundation in the morning and the scent lingers on my face for about an hour or so. If you're allergic or sensitive, you might want to find a counter first before committing. 


From left to right: Wet N Wild Coverall Cream in Fair/Light, Medium/Tan, ByTerry Cover Expert in 7, Liole Triple the Solution, Liole Beyond the Solution.

One little dollop! 

Coverage: Medium, buildable to full. You could sheer it out, but there's another ByTerry product called Sheer Expert for that purpose (I'm blindly guessing here...) The thing that amazes me is how pigmented this product is without feeling hefty on the skin. Yep, hefty. I just put an extra dollop on  my hyper-pigmentation and pat the remaining under my eyes if I need extra coverage.

Finish: A true skin-like finish. It's matte enough to look put together but not dewy to the point where your makeup is sliding around or worse, looking like you have ran an entire marathon by the end of the work day. I have never seen a foundation last through air conditioning this well. Of course, powdering is allowed since Cover Expert is so lightweight.

It's not nice at all to flakes or dry spots or very oily skin. Those near the middle of the spectrum will really enjoy this foundation. I would advise a thick and creamy moisturizer underneath for this foundation to really glide on well. My skin looks very brightened and luminous rather than dewy or shiny when wearing Cover Expert

Here is one thin coat of the foundation and no other concealer except under the eyes (I used Maybelline Age Rewind.) Lips is MAC Lady Danger over NYX Lip liner in Deep Red.


As you can see, it does an excellent job of blurring imperfections except for the cluster of bug bites on my cheeks. Those will take some serious weekly sessions of therapy to get over, but I'll live.


I've also set the foundation with a light layer of Benefit Hello Flawless powder in Petal and misted a LUSH toner (Breathe of Fresh Air) all over. This adds an extra bit of coverage. 

Wear: It lasts through an entire work day and that's good enough for me. I never see anything caking around my nose, or sliding into my laugh lines, or dancing a jig on my cheeks. Really, it stays put! 

I've been reaching for this foundation non-stop since the day I bought it which is ultimately dangerous considering the pricetag! It's an addiction! I've never seen a foundation that looks like bare skin while providing higher coverage and lasting through an entire day. If you break it down, it's doesn't cost much more than any other mid range foundations.

xo Be






























2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've cleared out my foundation stash for the new year and wanted to invest a little more in my foundations and of the few that I held on to, you mentioned 2 of them as being your favorites! I might have to give this a go! Also, you look gorgeous in those photos! I especially love that lip color!

Unknown said...

There are just some foundations that out-perform its friends...my special ones sit on my vanity and not in the fridge hehe. I put this one away for a bit and then took it out again because I was trying to prove to myself that it IS worth the money compared to my drugstore foundations...and I was right!