First Look| Colourpop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipsticks


I love these!



Like many things Colourpop, their Ultra Matte Liquid Lipsticks ($6 each) are getting a whole lotta hype on the interwebz. We've already established that matte liquid lipsticks are having their moment...right? My favorite formulation is KVD (creamy, nice to lips, great color selection) and least favorite is Stila (bleedfest and drying AF.)

When I heard that these CP varieties were "super drying", "patchy and crumbles on the lips", "prone to explosion from the tube" (wait, what??), and "smears everywhere" I giggled at the high expectations for low price point.

But those colors! The range goes from pale nudes to vampy fall favorites and bright blue/black/unwearable freaky colors. They originally broke the internet with their 25 shade launch and just released 8 limited edition shades for fall.

I chose Bumble, Tulle, Trap and Beeper from the fall collection. There's plenty of swatches online so feel free to look elsewhere for swatches on a variety of skintones. I'm just here to confirm that the formula is decent and affordable.


Pros:

  • At $6 bucks each you can afford to try 5 out with free shipping with little regret. 
  • They are thinner in consistency without being liquid-fluid. I had no problems spreading them out and being precise with lip lines. 
  • They don't have a scent and come in clear packaging. 
  • I didn't notice any peeling or crumbling and they wear evenly off all at once. 
  • They aren't anymore drying on the lips than a regular matte lipstick for me. 
Cons: 
  • They accentuate lip lines. Luckily, I didn't notice any problems with transferring if I put a lip balm on top or underneath to smooth them out. 
  • You cannot layer coat after coat with them. Use a precise hand and get the lines right the first time, or you're just fucked. 
  • They can make your lips feel tight. 
  • They are not long-wearing. They disappear completely after a greasy meal but generally transfer resistant. 

From left to right:

Bumble looks almost terracotta in many swatches, but it's a darker berry brown on my lips. I wish it pulled a little more orange on me.

Tulle is a dark brown-red brick shade on me...it's a darkened Bumble. It's vampy without being in yo face. 

Trap looks unwearable on many because it's a mauve that leans mostly grey. LA girls seem to really love this one but it takes a special steel resolve to rock this in Northern CA where most women don't wear a full face everyday. I can look *dead* with this on, so I have to really pile on the blush and keep a light wash of champagne sparkle on the lids. 

Beeper (LE) is a mid-toned true brown. I've gotten confused men on the streets half checking me out/confusingly staring/throwing up in disgust all at once with this one. It looks really gorgeous with a smokey brown eye look but it's another "fashion" look.



I'm content with the ones I have since I took ages and ages to look at swatches and decide for myself. I believe people experienced flaking and patchiness with the darkest shades but I had no problems with the ones I've purchased.

xo Be