Edit| Matte Mauve and Brown Lipsticks



According to my dear friend, only #basicbitches like the #basic #kyliejennerlipcolor.

D:

"Did she mean dusty nude pinks, mauve, and brown lipsticks?" I pondered as I shoved my newly acquired collection of the very same #basic colors underneath my shame rug. But they're so flattering! So classy! They're the new version of nude lipstick that doesn't wash me out or make me look demented.

If you're just dipping your toe into the pool, nude pinks that lean grey (or mauve) lipsticks can be a fun way (NOT to emulate Kylie Jenner) but to look polished and natural at the same time. Here is my modest collection.

From left to right: Milani Matte Moisture Lipstick in Naked, MAC Whirl, UD Matte Revolution in 1993, Milani Matte in Beauty, Maybelline Touch of Spice, MAC Mehr, and Sephora Lip Stain in #13 Marvelous Mauve. 


MAC Lipstick in Mehr ($16) and the Sephora Lip Stain in #13 ($11) are interchangeable colors of mauve that looks gorgeous on medium olive skin. Though I don't care for the formula, another dupe is the Stila liquid lipstick in Patina. Both are matte, longwearing without being drying, and easily layered on top of a nude lip liner. Milani Matte Moisture in Naked ($8 on EBay) is a lighter version that's friendly to fair-light skin.

As for browns, MAC Whirl ($17) and Urban Decay 1993 ($22) are similar but not exact dupes. While both are much darker on the lips than expected, 1993 is almost gothic and could lean costume-party if you're not careful to modernize the eye look. Milani Beauty ($8 on EBay) is a more terra-cotta brown that's ultra flattering on olive skin.

I've included swatches in outdoor lighting with various degrees of sun exposure for reference below. These are all one pass each. 



In the shade: 


Under sunlight: 


Again, matte mauve and browns are on trend for the season and I think anyone can pull them off. I used to think that mauve lipsticks were only for cool toned beauties but after some careful consideration, I've found colors that work with my "warm" coloring. There are a lot of affordable options at the drugstore if you don't want to commit!

xo Be








No comments: