First Look| MUFE Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation




After a brief stint with the new Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation in its liquid form, I wanted badly to love and coddle their Invisible Cover Stick Foundation ($43). The new liquid looks great for about 2.5 milliseconds before it disappears from my skin. 


The stick form comes in 15 shades. Here are the claims from MUFE's website: "Created for the very latest high-definition technologies of the film and TV industry, ULTRA HD advanced formulas look invisible on 4K camera and to the naked eye. Perfect for the makeup pros and for you. ULTRA HD stick foundation feels like a second skin and provides medium to full coverage while looking flawless and natural. Exclusive 4K Complex guarantees invisible, natural and comfortable makeup. The creamy texture blends in seamlessly to conceal imperfections. Perfect for touch-ups, the formula glides on and makes skin look even-toned and moisturized, with a soft satin finish. Great for all skin types, even dry skin."


LOL, "even dry skin"? Does that mean that dry skin types always get the short end of the stick when it comes to foundations? 


You could also buy a darker shade for cream contouring purposes, but there are cheaper options at the drugstore that will do the trick (Maybelline Fit Me has stick options.) If you need a shade match, I would suggest going to their boutique or inside Sephora IN PERSON to swatch all of your possible shade matches. Brace yourself, confusing words are coming...

For the old formulation, I wore #120 at NC20-25 and #123 at NC30, which was very olive and green. The new formulation's 123 equivalent is not as green and is actually a tad red leaning when compared to truly green/olive foundations. The stick's 123 = Y365 is more olive than the Ultra HD liquid and matches me at NC30. It was much darker than the stick #120 equivalent and more olive than neutral as these swatches suggest. 

From left right: MUFE Ultra HD stick in 123= Y365, Marc Jacobs Remarcable Foundation in 36 Beige Golden which is the most yellow foundation I own, and GA Luminous Silk Foundation in #6 which is the MOST olive foundation I own. According to these swatches, the stick should not match my skin at NC30-35 in both undertone OR depth...but it does. Witchcraft?

This is indoor lighting.


This is under natural outdoor lighting. It still looks very grey/neutral compared to the Luminous Silk. 



Here it is on the skin. I used Becca SSP in Champagne Pop only on the highest points of my cheeks and the Urban Decay Naked Beauty Balm underneath as a primer. I think that it's a direct match and I don't have to blend down my neck....I am confused. Since this is in front of a natural lighting source, I'm even more confused about my true undertone. I know that my skin is naturally more red when I tan up, but the foundation stick *looks* olive in the pan and on my skin. 


True to their claims, it's a very lightweight but hydrating CREAM formula that offers medium-full coverage with one swipe. It's creamy but not thick at all and can easily be sheered out with a buffing brush. I noticed a medium coverage with a satin finish with one coat.  It feels comfortable and skin-like (no tackiness or sticky residue comes off) to the touch. It was instant love: there was no foul play with my textural issues like larger pores, lines, or flakes.

 I won't recommend this for combination and definitely not oily skin as it will slide right off of your face. I am normal in the heat of summer and find myself blotting furiously if I do not set it down with a powder. I will most likely pick up another for winter. 

I think it's nice (but not completely ideal) for dry to normal skin and not the best for oily skin types. I keep mine in the work bag for days where I can't be bothered to apply foundation before walking the dog in the morning. 

xo Be