Edit| Snippets of the 2016 Drugstore Launch


This is the year for drugstore products to raise prices and standards! I couldn't NOT go into a drugstore like CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc, etc... several times per week to scope out the new product launches. There's new "cheapie alternatives" from Covergirl, the L'oreal Infallible lineup, great stuff from Maybelline, and a lot of things from Wet n Wild that I've yet to see stocked on the shelves. 

For now, I want to share with you my thoughts about some stellar new products that are giving high end brands a run for their money. 


You already know that I went batshit crazy searching for the L'oreal Pro Matte Glosses, but their display also had a tantalizing offer of 3 contour kits for light, medium, and deep skintones. The Infallible Pro-Contour looks decidedly more ashy and golden in real life, but it's perfectly pigmented to be buildable and not *too* pigmented. That's not to say it's sheer or patchy, just very softly pigmented and doesn't have any chunky glitter. 

The brush is a gimmick. Throw it away and depot this if you can. For $12.99 at CVS you too can poke a tiny brush in the pans (try Wayne Goss 02). 



There are instructions on the back for those new to contouring. I really enjoy using the contour shade to shade in the sides of my nose, but you need an eye blender brush. Don't even try to use a fluffy powder brush with this stuff...it just won't fit inside the pan. 


My lemming for the Marc Jacobs contouring disc is quelled for the time being. 

Next up, the Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid lipsticks ($7.99 at Walgreens) are quite similar to the L'oreal Pro Matte Glosses, but there are several key differences. 


For one, the doe foot applicator is stiffer and doesn't spread the product out as easily, but you definitely need less product than a usual gloss or liquid lipstick. The point makes it easy to sharpen lip lines. 

I picked up Nude Thrill and Orange Shot. Nude Thrill is a peachy nude (think NARS Audacious lipstick in Raquel) and Orange Shot is your typical red-orange (think Estee Lauder in Restless). Both are pretty cheap thrills for a liquid "lipstick" that stays on for 3-4 hours. The red does dry down nicely to an even stain. I would be careful to use a minimal amount of product to coat the lips since they do not set down as matte as a true liquid lipsticks. 

I think these are well worth the pricetag. There's a great color selection and they feel comfortable with enough slip on the lips that won't slide right off your lip lines. You can switch colors throughout the day and not have to worry about your lips shriveling up to die. 


Because I am a total foundation hoor who doesn't need any more base products, I picked up the Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft Matte Hydrating Foundation in 60 Sandy Beige ($10.99 at Walgreens.) It's a miracle that 60 turned out to be a great yellow/olive match for me at NC20-25, even if the product looked ORANGE when I squeezed it out. I do think it oxidizes to be a more peachy NC25 halfway through the day.

I hate this shiz. 

It's a light-medium coverage with a satin finish. I still needed to add concealer on my spots and hyper-pigmentation. The foundation has a thicker whipped mousse consistency, but you need more product than you think for decent coverage. 


The claims for hydration seems feasible but the oil control is really strange. It's a matte-r *looking* foundation, but it really likes to slip and slide. I can see that it likes to sit on top of peach puzz and settle into the pores besides my nose, thus making my skin look drier. The foundation also feels like it has a lot of silicone, so it likes to bunch up in the middle of my nose and slide right into my laugh lines.  


Lastly, this is one of very few foundations that oxidizes on my skin. I couldn't stand looking orange just hours into the wear time and had to scrub it off on multiple test runs. Disgusting.

I'm wandering back to the drugstore to see what else I can find!
xo Be