Review| Urban Decay Ultra Definition Loose Finishing Powder in Medium


Oily skinned gals who like to set their foundation down with powder...this is it. 

I didn't see much hype on YouTube and it was really hard to see how it looked on the skin before I bought it, but Temptalia and others on the blogosphere gave the Urban Decay Ultra Definition Loose Finishing Powder ($34) a glowing review. 

I have a powder foundation compact here and there but really wanted something semi-opaque that would give a demi-matte finish to my skin and set down my liquid foundation. My ultimate favorite setting powder of all time is NARS Light Reflecting in Loose, but damn it gets messy! Futhermore, the white cast is real and it doesn't photograph very well.


The first ingredient is silica and the second is dimethicone, both of which help blur out fine lines and pores without being too heavy or cakey. I have no sensitivity to silicone. 

Out of all the loose setting powders I swatched in store (BareMinerals Mineral Veil, Laura Mercier setting powder, and Make Up For Ever HD powder) this one has the silkiest, softest, and finest texture. 


Because the powder is semi-opaque, it's very important to choose the right shade. Naked Medium is a tad dark for me at the moment but it does match my chest. Don't even bother asking for an arm swatch, these powders are so sheer and light that you won't see much on the skin.

Here's the convincing reason I chose this: four holes. There is no way in hell that this can get messy unless I put the bulky jar in a hand bag and lugged it around. When you set it on your vanity, all you have to do is tip the jar over once and you have enough product. Compared to NARS, the texture is similar but the smarter packaging won me over.



Does it blur fine lines and pores? Yes. The texture of the powder is very finely milled, meaning that it sweeps over any imperfections rather than settling into any nooks and crannies on your face. I found that it also did NOT combine with my oils to create some monstrous goop on the sides of my nose mid-day.

The finish is demi-matte, meaning that you will be shine free without looking undead. Rimmel Stay Matte does keep me completely matte but at the risk of my makeup piling up. This powder cuts down on the oil or dew left from liquid foundation and sets everything down to a beautiful skin-like finish. I wouldn't use this for oil control or touch-ups, but dry to normal skinned gals can use this with no problems.

 If you have relatively problem free skin, I'm guessing that this would also be a great alternative to a liquid foundation in the summer. It seems to blur imperfections without looking like makeup by itself. I really like how truly poreless my skin looks with this on and a light dusting goes a long way. 

For the price, texture, and performance of this powder I will definitely be repurchasing this powder again in Medium-Light for the winter. It's outrageously good and underhyped!

xo Be


No comments: