First Look| Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipsticks (Lust for Blush, Mesmerizing Magenta, and Divine Wine)


I had a dream about going to Target and buying these newly released Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick ($5.49 at Target). My brain has been possessed...

I was going to pick up the shades Craving Coral and Touch of Spice, but the display had only 2 of each of the 10 shades and it was ravaged. 
I got Lust for Blush, Mesmerizing Magenta, and Divine Wine


Packaging: Oh so hideous. 

Scent: Like any other Maybelline lipstick, these smell like Play Doh upon application but kept no scent afterwards. I still think that Maybelline has the least offensive smell in their lipsticks as compared to other drugstore brands.

Pigment: Intense enough for you to only do one coat but can be layered over a lip liner or itself. Lust for Blush is too cool toned for me, but I really like the Magenta and Wine shades. One is perfect for celebrating the end of summer and one is a great transition into fall. I'm not a fan of matte nudes or bright cool reds, so I didn't pick those up.  

Application: Very creamy but sets demi-matte after a minute (not a true drying matte like MAC Ruby Woo or the new KVD Studded Kiss lipsticks *shudder*) These lipsticks can smear out of lip lines if you don't blot away your lip balm, but they do stay within the lines on bare lips and glide on beautifully.

Texture: On the lips, it looks very smooth and doesn't accentuate lip lines. If you have cracked lips (like me...) it doesn't get into EVERY crevice, just the big ones. 

Wear: It does have a slight transfer if you have a drink or snack, but you can easily layer a fresh coat on top. I found them to last for 4-5 hours on their own.


For the price, these really impress me! Maybelline never fails to deliver great lipsticks and these are no exception. If you put the same bullet into a fancy tube and give it a slight scent, most wouldn't be able to tell the difference between these and a high end brand. 

I'm purging Lust for Blush to a cooler toned friend (it makes me look like Miami beach bum...in a bad way) and picking up Craving Coral and Touch of Spice in my next trip. The entire shade range is phenomenal, however, and will probably be collected in its entirety. Soon. Soon....

September 12, 2014 UPDATE


So this happened. I have all of the shades except for another cool toned pink and the lightest nude, which is guaranteed to be corpse-like on me.

Here are swatches with 3 passes each in warm indoor lighting and natural outdoor lighting.


And yes, I had to stalk Target every day for a week before finding Touch of Spice (far right) and buying two. One for back up. Just in case. 





xo Be

3 comments:

The Beauty Vanity said...

Totally gonna pick these up today!

xx Alyson
The Beauty Vanity

Unknown said...

I've already gone to two other Targets in hopes of finding the rest of the colors...and the display is either not put up yet or totally ravaged by monster T_T

Miss Renee said...

Okay, these look beautiful, especially the swatch on the far left--that's Divine Wine, yes? I'm almost tempted to put up with that terrible Maybelline smell.