Review| Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet+ in #40 vs. Estee Lauder Double Wear

Though MUFE Mat Velvet+ ($36 retail) has been on the market for quite some time, I've always shied away due to a preconceived notion that it didn't have enough olive tones for my skin. (Can you tell I like my foundations? It's borderline hoarder status.) As much as I enjoy a natural finish base, I'm always drawn to products that can control oil as well as stay on the skin for a long time while looking flawless as the moment it was applied.



There's a great shade range, but I was duped by Sephora's online swatch system into believing it only had beige or pink tones and would look mask like if it didn't completely match my skin. Besides, I already like Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation because their shade match is excellent and Rattan fits me to a tee.


I got this back in February on a whim in prediction of the warming weather wreaking havoc on my t-zone. I've been trialing it for over a month and feel like it's a solid contender but nothing life changing for me personally. In truth, it's very comparable to ELDW for a lower price.

First of all, everyone raves about how well it keeps the face matte hence the namesake. It does this very well without looking flat. On the other hand, it doesn't look natural at all due to the medium full coverage. #40 Natural Beige is a match to NC30 with very good yellow tones, and #35 would work for a peachy NC35. Strange numbering system, right? The color still isn't as perfect as Rattan for Double Wear.

Mat Velvet feels lighter on the skin than Double Wear. Both do feel heavy, because they are heavy duty products, but its liquid consistency helps to make sure you're not suffocating the skin with an inch of makeup. It doesn't contain SPF but is water resistant and dries down to a powder finish. The scent reminds me of sunscreen though it contains none. Double wear smells like foundation to me. Both scents aren't coying.

I enjoy the squeeze tube packaging that's very simplistic and clean. I shake before using and find the consistency to be more liquid than expected. This gives it an advantage over DW's heavy glass bottle sans pump. It doesn't run all over the face, but you should work quickly in sections with Mat Velvet.

It dries in almost 30 seconds and I personally don't need powder on top to set. For application with both, a damp BB works best. Otherwise you're absorbing product into brush bristles, creating streak marks, and lifting up peach fuzz. No thanks. Using a damp sponge also sheers down the product so it doesn't look too pigmented all over the face.

Though it does last all day, Mat Velvet doesn't look as fresh as Double Wear half way through the day. I find that it can emphasize dry spots much more than DW does especially around the nose and lip area. I don't have to blot, but the frustration of cakey dry spots is much worse. I always have to over-moisturize when using this product.

Below are swatches of the two foundations next to Dior Forever Flawless in 31 Sand for comparison. As you can see Double Wear runs very yellow while the Dior looks more peachy/orange and are both suitable for NC35 and up. Mat Velvet is a shade lighter than both at around NC25 and is neutral enough without being beige.


Here's another look. This picture was taken under indirect sunlight indoors with no flash. My forearm is NC25. 




It's a good addition to my collection but I don't think this is the solution for combo skinned gals who have dry spots. For best results, it would be better to use a matte primer or even oil absorbing sheets or powder to take the oil away only where you need to. As for oily skinned girls, Mat Velvet does work better than Double Wear when it comes to killing oil. Anyone with persistent dry patches and dry skinned peeps need to think long and hard before purchasing Mat Velvet, while Estee Lauder Double Wear is much more forgiving and flattering on me even when I'm dry skinned.

The verdict? Even if I wait until the midst of summer to use Mat Velvet on a regular basis, the color match will be wrong unless I hide myself in a cave now and shun all sunlight. Though it's slightly heavy and powdered looking, it could work for night time where I want to look my best in flash photography. I think that if you're going out at night and there's lots of picture taking, dancing, and liberally sweating on strangers...Mat Velvet is a great option. I'm serious!

 If you're debating between the two, it's always best to consider color match and how much your face can "feel" a product on it throughout the day. If you're tired of blotting every two hours, Mat Velvet basically eradicates that need and practically begs you to slap on some moisturizer instead.

Have you tried both or either? What did you think?

xo Be




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have combo to oily skin and I find the ELDW looks better and lasts lo ger than the mat velvet and I dont have to use any powder throughout the day. The mat velvet has a beautiful finish at first but sinks into fine line and pores and ages me the longer I have it on but feeks lighter on the skin than ELDW, but it also wipes right off with or without powder and finishing spray so I vote ELDW