Review| Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser













Face wash is one of those things that are taken for granted half the time. Do you have dry skin? Go with creamy. Do you have oily skin? A foaming lather won't hurt you. For me, I make sure to remove the bulk of my makeup first with an oil based remover and makeup wipe. Then, I go in with a creamy or non-foaming face wash to cleanse again.

So why did I splurge on Philosophy's Purity Made Simple cleanser? At $35 per 16 oz, you could probably run to the drugstore and buy any cleanser in bulk at the price. However, I've heard very mixed reviews about Purity and decided that I wanted to try for myself. Philosophy designed this product to cleanse, tone, remove makeup, and lightly moisturize your skin in one simple step. For some, it's devil piss in a bottle while others claim that it's their holy grail. I've been using Purity for the past two months and can definitely offer my thoughts on it now.




I appreciate the simple packaging and easy push top dispenser, but since I got the monster size, it's a little cumbersome to be on my bathroom sink. It would be even better if they had a soap pump type of dispenser. The scent of Purity is similar to plastic lemongrass, but fainter, even though it claims to be fragrance free. You're not going to gag like I did with their "Hope In a Jar" due to an overpowering plastic scent, but it's still the norm for Philosophy products to smell completely unnatural. It's not a deal breaker for me since the lemongrass is semi-pleasant.

Philosophy claims that their Purity cleanser can deep clean your skin and unclog pores. The consistency of the cleanser is similar to a thin but waxy lotion that suds up when you apply water. Unless you were using a face brush or Clarisonic, I don't see how this can be "deep cleansing", though it cleans very well without leaving skin squeaky feeling. It does not lather to a high foam and rinses off nicely.

The best part is that it's excellent as an eye makeup remover, meaning you can work the slight suds into the lash line to get rid of leftover mascara and it won't sting or burn. I love MAC Cleanse Off Oil, but it can make my vision blurry afterward. You can probably take this on a cotton pad if you'd like and use it only for this purpose to save money.

I have not had any allergic reactions, clogged pores, or major skin dilemmas that can be attributed to this cleanser. On the other hand, my pores are a little tighter and there is no residue eye makeup when I wake up in the morning. It's not a miracle worker (it is a face wash after all people...) but does a great job of multitasking for when I'm too tired to take the separate steps. While my Neutrogena Gentle Cleanser works just fine, it still doesn't take off my makeup as well as this one.

Do I think it's worth the price? No. Would I repurchase? Perhaps, if there was an option to buy in bulk for less.

xo Be

No comments: