Edit| Carving Out New Cheekbones with Kevyn Aucoin



Here I have the Kevyn Aucoin The Celestial Powder in Candlelight and The Sculpting Powder in Medium (both $44) in the old packaging, pictured with Wayne Goss Brush 02 ($35). I wasn't a huge fan of the price tag and got these suckers off blog sales, swapping, and general peasant-ly ways. 


Both are supposed to be ultra-natural yet highly pigmented so that you can highlight without showing all yer pores and contour without inspiring snide Oompa Loompa remarks.


The old packaging is a pain in the clasp to open, though they both come with an applicator and mirror. I'm surprised they chose to include a puff with the contour shade. If only there was some way to depot the products or fuse the packaging together. Kevyn Aucoin PR team, wherever you may be, hear me out!

Below are swatches in indirect outdoor lighting. 


Here are swatches in direct sunlight. You can see that The Celestial Powder (so fancy, much name, wow...) doesn't really glitter or even shine. So how does it do its magic?? Meanwhile, the Sculpting Powder leans neither too orange or grey. In fact, I noticed only the slightest hint of red tones in this powder. 

The texture of both powders feel so soft and creamy that they could pass for cream products. I find no problems with patchiness or poor wear time. 


Here's the real test. I applied both products on with my Wayne Goss Brush 02 with a heavy hand to see how bad it could look. Not too obvious at all! The Sculpting Powder is very pigmented so exercise caution and use a tapered/pointed brush to catch just under your cheekbones. Then, use a big fluffy brush to blend everything out. 

Indeed, my cheekbones look 30 times higher without tell-tale diagonal stripes going down my face. I wouldn't wear this on a daily basis to work but under dim lighting and with enough liquor, anyone half blind could see I have ammmaaazing~ bone structure. Hehe.


It's really not garish even with poor execution like mine, meaning I could technically wear it in broad daylight without someone pointing to my cheeks and asking what highlighter I'm wearing. Wha? Me? I'm just naturally emitting a glow. 

This is my "sharp" side, meaning my cheeks naturally have that contour line without any makeup on. It's a little theatrical on this side and too blatant for my liking so I will have to use a lighter hand.

If you like to contour on a regular basis but don't want a contoured look per se, I think this duo makes an excellent investment. 

xo Be

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't care for contouring that much but somehow this has managed to convince me that I might need this. O_o

Great post!

Unknown said...

Thank you! Yeah, they are very high quality products that are outrageously priced if you think too hard about it xD but boy do they make for a good contour set. I'm wondering if the new CT sculpt and glow palette is similar.