Review| Coastal Scents Revealed 2 Palette


I got the Coastal Scents Revealed 2 Palette ($19.95) when that curiosity for rose gold shadows couldn't be kicked. And much similar to a curiosity for designer cocaine, or any other glamorous and dangerous things, it just wouldn't work on my eyes.

But is it a dupe for the much coveted Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette? Hell yeah. 

Yes, there's a mix of mattes and shimmers in all sorts of coppery, rosey, golden hues. Yes they're mostly soft and blendable. Besides the obvious fail that is rose toned eyeshadows on my olive complexion, however, this palette didn't quite live up to high standards. 

Below I have the first row swatched once with no primer in three different lighting situations. Excuse the strange black demarcation in the second to right shade (stray eyeliner?)



Indoor, natural light.


Outdoor, direct sunlight.


Outdoor, indirect sunlight.

You can tell immediately from the swatches that the lighter mattes are powdery but deeper shimmers can be comparable to any mid range eyeshadow brands. Sure, I'll give that to ya. I didn't like how these top row shades performed in general, but they are much softer and easier to work with than Urban Decay's formulation in the Naked 3 (dry, chalky, lacking pigment, disappointing...need I go on?) 


When it comes to the bottom half, the only shades that disappoint can be distinguished below. Namely: black and black with shimmer. The bottom middle shades of various taupes ,purples, and maroon are absolutely divine and makes the palette worth the buy. They make the lighter & grey based pinks on the top row wearable on my olive skin tone by adding warmth without being a muddled mess. 


Indoor, natural light.


Outdoor, direct sunlight.


Outdoor, indirect sunlight.

You could interchangeably swatch some of the colors from both the Naked 3 and the Revealed 2 and find no difference in quality. Some Revealed 2 shades are even better in terms of pigmentation and blendability! 

However...and a huge however...the Revealed 2 eyeshadows last a measly four or five hours before vanishing before my eyes. I've tried it with a softer primer like MAC Paint Pot and a drier variety like NARS Pro Prime. In every single experiment, these shadows fade to oblivion on my eyelids which are neither oily or prone to fading. That's not to say they crease. They wear well and look absolutely stunning upon application. When you have the chance to observe yourself in the mirror halfway through the day...poof!

Below is a very subtle look with the Revealed 2. 



I've already swapped this out of my collection and given up on rosey eyeshadows altogether, but I will give major props to Coastal Scents for such an affordable palette. 

xo Be



No comments: