Review| Urban Decay Eyeshadows for Summer 2015





Urban Decay has released eight brand new eyeshadows for Summer 2015. I'm usually not a huge fan of Urban Decay eyeshadows outside of their Naked palettes because their mattes tend to be very chalky and dry (or not really matte at all!) and their frosty shadows are often overloaded with huge chunks of glitter. 

That sounds mean, but my tastes have evolved to soft mattes for work and complex colors for play. So imagine my surprise when their summer release ($18 each) is exactly that! Two soft browns for the crease and plenty of duochrome goodness. 

I continue to lem Tonic, a sparkly white/lilac beauty, but I know that I cannot wear it as anything else but an inner corner highlight. I will refrain for now. Instead, I picked up: 

Lounge (brick red with green shift) 
 Fireball (a light peach with pink shift)
Divebar (blue with purple-pink shift) 

These pans pop out of the packaging and into their 4-pan palettes. Who does that? They're clunky af. 


Here are swatches with ONE pass, no primer, in direct daylight and under flash photography. 


My favorite is Lounge. It's a dupe-able color (itself probably a dupe of a certain MAC cult favorite...) but the texture and pigmentation is beyond divine. It's soft without fallout, very pigmented, and long lasting on the lid. I think every eyeshadow ever should feel and wear like this one. 


My second favorite is Fireball. This looks intense in the pan but it's very soft and pretty as a simple wash on the lids. It leans more pink than peach, but it works in warm and cool eye looks. It's not that it's un-pigmented...it's just a soft and unassuming color.

My least favorite is Divebar. It's dry, actually poor in pigmentation, and doesn't pack on well with anything else but my fingers. Not to mention, the shift is minimal (non-existent?!) and it's not a color I would wear to anything but a dimly lit warehouse rave. 

I took a swatch of Backfire (burgundy with purple shift) and Sideline (gold with green shift) and found that Backfire was beautiful but could be interpreted as "bruisy" on my skintone. Meanwhile, Sideline looked...like a boring ass gold. With no green shift. What green shift? 

Sephora doesn't tend to carry many "shifty" eyeshadows, and if you're not a fan of loose pigments this limited range of colors may be fun to look into. They take guess-work out of an eye look...just one slap and you're done!

xo Be




No comments: