First Look| the NEW Make Up For Ever Water Blend Foundation



I recently picked up a sample of Make Up For Ever's newest reformulation: the Water Blend Foundation ($43) to replace the very popular Face and Body. I've used through bottles of the old stuff even though #32 was much peachier than my liking. Now, there's a much larger shade range of 20 and the formula doesn't smell like chloroform. 






The artist chose #Y405 Golden Honey for me, which is admittedly a very tan orange that would match me at NC35. I wanted to try Y245 Soft Sand, which is my usual shade equivalent for NC25, but this formula seems to run light. You should try to make it out to a MUFE boutique for a shade match. It's available on MUFE's website at the moment but will arrive at Sephora.com on July 22 and in stores by August. 

The packaging is similar to the old one but with frosted glass and a sturdier cap. Remember to shake well to mix up the pigments!


I finally matched myself to shade #Y305 Soft Beige for the full size which leans more yellow than the neutral #Y315 Sand (you would think...) It seems to be NC27-30. Upon comparison swatching with my truelurve UD Naked Skin Foundation in 4.0, it looks almost PINK! However, it definitely goes on yellow and looks neutral on my skin. 

I found this to be incredibly helpful in choosing a shade match before going to the MUFE freestanding store. 

 However, since the formula is so sheer, you can get away with a poorer shade match or buying a shade that might suit you for most of the year even if your skintone deepens.

Here is UD Naked Skin in 4.0, MUFE Water Blend Y305, MUFE Water Blend Y405, and L'oreal Pro Matte in 106 Sun Beige


And an outdoor shot. 




After testing it for several occasions, I think that this is my new replacement for my MAC Waterweight Foundation which leaned too peach for my taste. I love how well this pairs up with a mattifying primer for extended wear in heat and humidity. 


It's supposedly waterproof even though it's made of 80% water, lightly floral scented, doesn't have the tacky "grip" that occurred with the old formulation, and offers sheer buildable to light coverage. Those with widespread hyper-pigmentation may not love having to build it up, but it builds up well and never cakes up, even with 4-5 layers. 

As usual, there is no added SPF. 


I chose to try it on a very bad skin week, and it really helped temper the texture of clogged pores on my forehead, dry patches on my upper lip, and cover my redness well with one layer. I set it lightly with my Too Faced translucent powder. It required a good blot by mid-day after I had walked downtown in 90 degree heat. 


Here's how the base looked after 8 hours of work and a gym trip. Not bad! You can see that my skin's redness is still covered even though most of my point makeup has faded/exited the building. 



You can definitely bring a decant along and use it to touch up the skin without caking up any trouble spots. I would still use a concealer for blemishes and dark circles. 


 I think those who worshipped the old formula's comfortable wear and skin-like finish will equally enjoy this one. I think the lasting power is better in the new formula! These face and body foundations are my favorite to use for active days out and photographed events alike. 

xo Be