Review| MILK Makeup Blur Stick


I firmly maintain that MILK Makeup is over-hyped & well packaged bullshit that has inundated the younger group of consumers obsessed with *~aesthetic~* over product function and quality. 

I mean, I saw it coming from a mile away. Point makeup disguised as markers? Generally yawn inducing "multi-purpose" blush sticks that look way too slippery and sheer? Even with the hype and branding (laid back model from New York/I woke up like dis), their makeup never caught my interest due to mediocre reviews across the board. 






How then, did I let myself be convinced into buying their infamous Blur Stick ($36), touted by many Youtubers as a product that seemed to make a nominal difference, therefore excusing its price tag, or perhaps MILK's shameless PR product pushing? 

I couldn't help it! The product looks wonderfully whimsical in its minimal packaging, boasted to be paraben and silicone free (not that it's ever been a problem for me to use such things), vegan, cruelty free, AND used by only the hottest chicks in metropolitan areas?? Sold! 

In reality, I was hoping for a sort of duo purpose primer/light base that could blur out textural and very light pigmentation issues on a lazy day. I even took the patience to swatch it lovingly at every visit to Sephora on the back of my hand. It had such potential and seemed to indeed blur and smooth out lines and slightly diminish any noise on the skin. 

When I took it home, several things bothered me at once: 
1.  It dragged on my skin, even when I used an emollient lotion underneath. 
2. I had no clue where I had or had not applied this primer. I aimed to make broad strokes with the tube and then blended it out like a lotion. 
3. I didn't notice an immediate difference as I had with the back of my hand. 
4. I didn't notice a difference in wear time, ease of base application, reduction in skin texture/noise, anything....
5. I even tried it with different foundations varying in viscosity and level of coverage. It makes a tiiiiiiny difference with foundations like MUFE Waterblend or Urban Decay naked (think thin and light formulas on the watery side.) 

*cue internal screaming as I realize I had been fooled by pretty panderers*


I'm sure I can't speak for the entire range of the line, because product efficacy varies across every brand's range, and ymmv, etc. However, the Blur Stick is definitely a placebo. It's not even a contender in comparison to the other primers in my rotation: Make Up For Ever's Step 1 Primers in Mattifying and Smoothing and CoverFX Anti-Age Smoothing Eye Primer. Btw, they're all wonderful options if you need help with foundation settling into the skin prematurely under the eyes and laugh lines and covering up pores on the nose. 

Perhaps, on one positive note it smells like the best citrus and/or green tea and/or fresh scent ever? Maybe they can come out with a MILK eau de toilette, which I'll spray on and have dissipate immediately -_-


Here I've placed it on the upper right quadrant, and moving clockwise, the MUFE mattifying, CoverFX, and MUFE smoothing. See: invisible. 

Now when I blend everything out, you probably don't have a point of reference of my before alligator hands, but the biggest difference is between the right quadrant's lined topography v. the relatively smoothed skin on the rest of my hand. 


I will now show you a side by side comparison so that you can see its utter worthlessness. I had some hormonal acne on the my forehead and chin that week, and it's generally unpleasant to see up close, but you should examine it yourself to spot any differences. Your right side has the Blur Stick and the left side does not. I'm wearing a medium coverage foundation here that helps with texture (Lancome Teint Idole Ultra) and to be completely fair, the Iphone 5s camera won't pick up as much detail as my DSLR. 


 Here it is underneath a mineral foundation by Lucy Minerals. This foundation is full coverage and excellent with texture, so it's even harder to tell that the Blur Stick has made (or has not made!) a difference in the overall finish. 


Overall, it's a hard pass for me. I haven't been disappointed in a product like this for quite some time. I'm even more pissed that this is obviously marketed towards the younger end of the spectrum. Quite frankly, $36 dollars can buy you a better primer or base product --- or a few!

xo Be

No comments: