First Look| Laura Mercier Artist Palette 2013




Okay, it isn't always fair when bloggers show limited edition and rare items, but I swear, Sephora has just conveniently "restocked" the Laura Mercier Artist Palette for Eyes ($48 retail.) When it sold out online (permanently...?), EBay prices shot up and my heart sank simultaneously. I swear, Sephora does this to entice consumers and make them buy things no one in their right mind would look at twice.

I showed up at South Coast Plaza and the sales assistant told me she had to unpack it from a few boxes, but it was really here. I picked it up immediately, because I had been wafflin' on about it for a few weeks. If you see it in stores, don't hesitate to pick it up! It is limited edition after all.





This is the size of the palette. It's almost like a wallet, with a nice faux-snakeskin cover and magnetic closure. I really enjoy it, because most of my palette are hard acrylic or cardboard. There is a quality heft to it without weighing it down. I don't know about traveling with this, since it doesn't "snap" shut, but it's great on my vanity. I also love the huge and clear mirror inside, but its tendency to want to close on its own annoys me.


Isn't it pretty? I'm not a huge fan of purples, but this one has a large variation of it so that I can go from neutral to glam with a swipe. These shadows are very soft, buttery, and pigmented. Sounds great right? However, you need a very gentle hand and calm restraint when using it. Do not overblend. 

In fact, your life would probably be easier if you only used one or two shades from this palette rather than trying to make a complicated look out of all 12 shades. Honestly, it makes a great beginner's palette, especially for those who like rocking only a wash of color or two.


This is the palette in natural, indirect sunlight. Looks pretty unimposing, but in person, Bamboo, African Violet, and Kir Royal are all ravishing shades with multi-dimensionality. Also, I laugh every time I use Vanilla Nuts as an inner corner highlight. There is a balance of matte and shimmers, though the shimmer is very sophisticated rather than chunky or glaringly obvious.

The wear time is a full day with no creasing, fall out, or general harassment. The quality is top notch, just a tad drier than LORAC but more finely milled than Urban Decay. 

Here are swatches of the entire palette on my arm, over the UD primer potion. Its drier texture also makes blending harder (which is want you want, trust me!) I wanted to include several different lighting situations. You can see that on my NC30 inner arm, the two lightest shades barely show up. As for the darker shades, they stained my arms even after wiping them down with a makeup remover wipe.


Indirect yellow light.


Direct yellow light.

Under sunlight.

Under dim fluorescent lighting.



Would I say that you're missing out on the palette of the Gods? Not really. Is it nice? Yes! With so many other palettes, gift offers, and holiday themed palettes at Sephora, it's easy to forego this one. Not to mention, Urban Decay is coming out with Naked 3 very soon within this next month. Of course I'm getting it. 

I'll do a few eye looks with this palette for those of you who picked it up during F&F or the VIB sale. 

In other great news, I finally got a job offer! *dances* After three months of looking, I feel relieved to heck. 

XO, Be

No comments: