Review| Laura Mercier Silk Creme


This is Bamboo Beige on the skin, one layer buffed in with a dense kabuki. 
I've been on a foundation binge lately (can you tell?), and rotating foundations out for better shade matches is on my agenda. Out is the need for sheer, lightweight, and mattifying. In fact, I want cakeface for the winter; something thick, hydrating, full coverage, and long lasting will do just fine. I decided that I needed  to consult Laura Mercier Silk Creme and see if it could take HG status.

The LM Silk Creme Foundation ($48 for 1.18 fl. oz.) is a cult favorite because it offers a long-wearing full coverage AND satin finish for skin that isn't oily. I would compare it to MAC's Studio Sculpt, except a little denser in formulation. This means that it doesn't transfer as much yet still feels comfortable on dry and tight skin. It's also not cakey and photographs beautifully, as it is a true full coverage foundation. It doesn't hide flakes, but it doesn't make them obvious either.


Now, the only con for this foundation is as always, color match. 

This is Medium Ivory stippled on with a BeautyBlender.
Cream Ivory is an exact match for NC20, or light with very yellow undertones. Rose Ivory is for NW20 and reads very pink. Bamboo Beige is an exact match for NC30 and has golden rather than peachy undertones. For NC25 I had to decide whether Beige Ivory or Medium Ivory (neither of which are true "ivories") had more yellow undertones. I finally settled on Medium Ivory and while it is still rather neutral on me, it's as yellow as it could get for the 10 shade range. I also have it in Bamboo Beige. I can pull off both, but Bamboo is more golden and a smidgen darker, for NC30 perhaps.

A pea sized amount works best with a BeautyBlender. DO NOT apply liberally with a brush or fingers, as you will get a terribly thick amount of coverage that reads as cakey. It's really the best full coverage a girl can get and it does not emphasize my laugh lines or pores. The wear time is phenomenal and lasts 12 hours if you powder lightly on top. 

From left to right: NARS TM in St. Moritz, MAC Studio Sculpt NC30, Tarte Full Cover 12 Hour Foundation in Light, Laura Mercier Silk Creme in Medium Ivory and Bamboo Beige. This is under yellow fluorescent lighting. 





This is under indirect sunlight. You can see that Bamboo Beige looks more olive rather than golden like MAC and NARS. 
I think a true normal skin type with acne scarring or dark spots would do well with this foundation. Drier types will also benefit if they use a moisturizer underneath. Oilier and acne-prone skin types should look elsewhere, but I've heard good reviews for Silk Creme from oily gals. 

I really like incorporating this foundation into my routine for a flawless look, especially on camera. It acts as an Instagram filter and really blurs out any imperfection, even huge zits. It's definitely your best bet if you suffer from dry skin yet still love a full coverage look.

Love,
Be

No comments: