First Look| First of the Year Haulabration

I've given some thoughts to doing a "best of 2013" post, but my current routine has been repeated so often that it would just bore you to hear about the same things over and over again. However, I did have a life changing revelation on New Year's Eve...

My UD Naked palette, purchased two years ago by a very naive and makeup-noob me....was fake.

I don't mean really, obviously, terribly fake. It was passable and while I sometimes had my doubts (like how its Half-baked was horrendous in comparison to my Naked 2 purchased at Sephora), I really enjoyed using it.

I hustled over to Sephora on the first day of the year and picked up a few things in order to tweak my routine. Unfortunately, Naked 1 was sold out. Then I went to Macy's begrudgingly and grabbed one.


The Urban Decay Naked palette ($52 retail) has already been beaten to death by a cudgel over the years, and you probably own it, so I won't say any more. I am a little miffed at the price increase, but these palettes are expensive and popular for a reason. I've been loving the darker colors like Smog and Darkhorse for a lovely day time smokey eye.

YSL Babydoll mascara ($30 retail) is expensive, I'll give you that. To me, it's like the steroid version of L'oreal Telescopic (long, fluttery lashes) without smudging, clumping, smearing, or flaking into my poor contacts and effectively blinding me for the entire day. I had a sample, loved it, and decided to invest. It does very well over a lash primer and under any basic volumizing mascara. The drier formulation also means it holds a curl beautifully.

Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation in Rattan ($36 retail) is a more realistic shade match for me. I had originally purchased Sand, but it was more for NC25 me which shall nevermore exist under LA sun. Rattan is VERY yellow without any peach tones, making it perfect for any NC30 girl struggling to find a match. Also, I found that the perfect way to apply is with a Beauty Blender rather than a synthetic brush, which can make it bunch and gather in dry spots around my nose. 

And paired over Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Moonstone ($41 retail), my skin is hyper-flawless. As in, no dark spots/redness and glowing skin for 12 straight hours. The one I picked up had SPF 25 and is touted as a moisturizer if you wanted it to be, but I try not to apply all over the face. Instead, I pat a tiny amount (DO NOT pump liberally) on my cheek area and temples, and then swipe a smidge on my nose bridge. For some reason, it's a joy to work with unlike MAC Strobe liquid, which I found smelly and strange in consistency.

Finally, I picked up MAC's Prolongwear Concealer in NW20 ($18 retail) to find out what the fuss is all about. I think I need to use a more sparing hand because while it does brighten and last, it also emphasized fine lines... that don't exist. 

Overall, not a bad way to start the new year. I'm glad 2013 is over and ready to take on new challenges for 2014! 

XO, Be

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're probably giving the idea of what's my match in ELDW, since I've never known it! I had one in the old formulation, but got completely lost with the new -don't even know if they are the same shades.

I love the idea behind Naked palettes, but somehow I've never get N1 to work for me. I just can't think of flattering combos for me :'( I've had much better experiences with N2 & N3 -as I've been posting in the boards.