First Look| Maybelline Master Hi-Light Blushes



Maybelline has a new line of blush/bronzer/highligher compacts for Spring 2014 called the Master
Hi-Light Hi-Lighting Bronzer. It's been out for a while and I've seen a lot of hype and talk on YT, so I decided to pick out two to try. I found a small display at my local Rite Aid and they retail for about 9.99 retail. There are six shades in the line, but I only saw three left and grabbed what I could. 

The left is 50 Light Bronze, which contains in its mosaic design a silvery taupe, gold, light pink, and bronzed brown. All of them swatches shimmery despite what you see in pan.
The right is 60 Deep Bronze, which contains a satin magenta, a satin brown, a shimmery orange brown, and a gold shimmer. 


Needless to say, they are very complex products for the price point. Of course it's well nigh impossible to use just a certain color from the pan as a blusher or bronzer. If you swirl a finger into it, the pattern will look rather muddy and disgusting. If you lightly swirl a brush, the mosaic won't be moved and no major dust kicks up. 



Maybelline has kindly graced us with the presence of a mirror and hidden brush on the bottom of the compact. It doesn't stay standing if you push the mirror up, so I had to hold it with a finger. I wouldn't have someone pay me money to use that brush with anything. Do yourself a favor and throw it out.





Here is what they look like swirled and swatched on the skin. This is natural indirect lighting with no primer underneath the swatches. As you can see, the four colors in each pan morph to become a shimmery red or coral that works well as a bronzer/blush. I wouldn't put either in the hollows OR apples of my cheeks, but they look amazing towards the back of the cheeks and brushed upwards.

Edit: I went back for the Nude shade, which is swatched below.



The Light Bronze reminds me of an even more pigmented MAC Warm Soul with the sheen of theBalm's Frat Boy blush. There is no chunky or obvious glitter despite the ultra-tacky packaging. The application is very smooth and silky, and they glide effortlessly on the cheeks. They are not powdery or chalky in the least. 



If you excuse my hair and flu infected face of death, you can see for yourself how much life it gives to my complexion. It's not very loud as the pan suggests, but it imparts just the right amount of color and glow to the face without using a separate highlighting powder. You definitely can't see any glitter, and there are no obvious demarcation lines.  The wear time is standard for most drugstore blushes, around 4 to 5 hours of solid wear before it fades. Another note to add is that while the color may fade out, the sheen stays on your cheeks for a much longer time. 

Seriously, these are the best cheek products other than Milani I've ever tried from the drugstore! 

XO, Be







No comments: