Review| Cerave Sunscreen Face Lotion SPF 50


When living in Orange County, I was on a search for a moisturizing sunscreen that I can smear on before rushing out the door. I had been using Smashbox CC cream on a daily basis as my SPF protection, but the high concentration of pigment looked ridiculous under a full coverage foundation and it wasn't *super* moisturizing.


I originally started searching because Cerave's daily lotion with SPF30 was a little too moisturizing and would make me oil up by lunch time. I also wanted a higher SPF because spring had arrived in LA in the course of a week and the heat was brutal. A higher SPF usually means I get to keep my skintone even and not tan up to NC40. Since Cerave's daily moisturizer is a staple for me in the winter, I thought their SPF 50 would be even better! Sadly, there are many things wrong with this sunscreen...as in everything.

See those claims on the tube? LIES.


First of all, while it claims to contain niacinamides and ceramides like most of its products, it isn't as moisturizing as the daily moisturizer version. In fact, it's a very thick consistency upon first inspection. While it spreads out easily on the hand, it seems very hard to blend into the skin when you want it to matter. The product just sort of...sits on top of your face, creating this horrid white cast I was hoping from escape from ever since I purged my Neutrogena sunscreens. 

I used the reccomended 1/4 tsp amount and it was overkill! Perhaps it would dry clear if you used a pinhead amount. 

And while SPF 50 is all well and great, the heavy feeling on my face could've been escape if I had just stuck to my daily moisturizer or Smashbox CC cream. When I went in with my BareMinerals Matte foundation and my brush literally could not be dragged across my face. Hm...what is wrong with that? When I got home from a day of wear my forehead had broken out in little clogged pores. Great. 

And to be really superficial, the packaging attracts dust and fingerprints very easily, even if it's a petite and portable squeeze tube. Don't be fooled by its cuteness!

I'd say skip this if you're looking for a moisturizing and high SPF product. At almost 15 dollars retail, you can definitely find better alternatives at the drugstore. I gave this away to my husband who happens to love it,  but his skin is much thicker and drier than mine.

xo Be



1 comment:

Miss Renee said...

My mom has been using--and loving--Cerave PM and AM for the past year, but I've always worried that the AM doesn't provide enough sun protection. I thought this would be a good replacement for the AM, but now you've got me thinking it'll just commit atrocities on her beautiful skin. I'll pass. Thanks!