First Look| Diorskin Star Foundation in 21 Linen


 I had seen sneak peeks and previews for the Diorskin Star Foundation ($50) earlier this year, but with the release of so many new foundations for Fall 2014 I was slightly overwhelmed for a month. 

After the initial buzz of seeing so many new foundations, I realized that the majority of them were sheer and matte. Lucky for me, I no longer have oily skin to combat. Unlucky for me, my skin leans normal to dry making it a moot point to try out matte foundations in the name of science. 

Nonetheless, I saw that the Star foundation was advertised to be a satin finish. I love Dior foundations and the sheer luxury of their packaging so I didn't hesitate to pick this one up.



 General

Fragrance: Dior Star has the same heavily floral fragrance like Dior Forever and Diorskin Nude. Figures. I personally enjoy the scent, but others may find it headache inducing.


SPF 30.

Consistency: It's a runny liquid that's not too creamy or watery. The label says to shake well before use.


Application: This foundation is best applied with a damp sponge. It can, and will, look very cakey and bunched if applied with a brush or even your fingers. I use two pumps for the entire face but you can layer on one more coat to get a fuller coverage. Keep in mind it never fully reaches full coverage. 



Here it is compared to other foundations with a similar consistency, finish, and color. From left to right: Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum in 53, Dior Star Foundation in 21 Linen, Diorskin Nude in 31, Benefit Hello Flawless in Petal

This is under very warm lighting and indoors.


Texture

On pores: This foundation will do nothing to hide pores and *may* accentuate them if you use a brush with a swirling motion. Now in the throes of my twenties (insert huge eye roll here) the pores on my cheeks have gotten slightly bigger. Without a primer like Benefit Porefessional underneath Dior Star they are visible to the naked eye. 

On deep lines: It sits well over fine lines but not very deep lines. I wouldn't say it sinks into my laugh line, but the foundation doesn't exactly suspend over it. 

On flaky/dry skin: Again, Dior Star does not play well with poor texture. 


This is outdoors under natural sunlight. 

Wear

Coverage: Medium buildable to full coverage. It covers up all minor redness and dark spots for me, but will not conceal a blemish.


Lasting Power: Without setting powder, it lasts at least 6 hours in extreme fluctuations of heat and air conditioning and 8 hours in temperate heat.

Finish: Satin. It looks much more flat/matte when first applied and then with my natural oils coming through, it transforms into an ultra natural velvet finish. I think it is best for normal to combination oily skin. Again, no love for dry skinned folks!

In photos: This is where the foundation was made to excel: selfies, poor fluorescent lighting, and any other situations where lighting must be optimal (but isn't). The "technologies~~" put into this foundation is advertised as blurring any imperfections when captured in photos. There's no flashback as far as I can see, but I generally avoid taking pictures in dark places. Never flattering. 

Here are the swatches pushed out for you to see the true color. It's a warm leaning beige without being a true yellow. 

Here comes the shameless selfies. I wore one layer of Dior Star, Tarte Maracuja Creaseless as an  undereye concealer, and no setting powder on the face. 

See that angry red thing? Not covered. As for the rest of my face? It's the foundation. It really doesn't look like much in person, but it photographs beautifully. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the Make Up For Ever HD Foundation: a little obvious in real life and beautiful in pictures. 


I obviously don't have time to retouch or slap a filter on my pictures so you'll have to take Dior's claim at face value. I took these pictures in normal sunlight. 


Diorskin Star lasts well, has SPF, and does slip or break up in extreme weather but looks like makeup on the skin if not applied with a damp sponge and a light hand. If you have the patience of a saint to deal with Beauty Blenders in the morning, or are used to applying foundations with a damp sponge in the first place, you'll love the Star. 

Ultimately, if you're the type who loves looking pretty in photos and under harsh lighting, this is the one for you. This isn't a daily wear foundation in my book.

xo Be














No comments: