Review| Makeup Geek Eyeshadows


With all of YouTube and the general makeup community obsessed with Makeup Geek eyeshadows, I had to try out all of the warm crease shades. At $5.99 per pan, they are often compared to MAC eyeshadows in terms of quality, formula, and size. 

I had to wait for most to come in stock which can attest to how popular these shadows are. While I have a lot of warm neutrals from MAC, I don't think of them as the best eyeshadows out there. I prefer a more creamy/buttery texture that adheres to the skin longer.

I have two MAC pans: Tempting and Soft Brown, which I've depotted into my newly purchased Z palette (they came with stickered round magnets!) so that I can use them on the daily. I've swatched all of my MUG and MAC shadows together so you can see just how similar they are. All swatches are two passes with no primer.


From left to right: MAC Tempting, Cocoa Bear, Latte, Burlesque, Frappe, Creme Brulee, Shimma Shimma, MAC Soft Brown, Peach Smoothie. 


As you can already tell, the more shimmery finishes are comparable to MAC in terms of opacity and pigmentation. I found the most disappointing texture to be Cocoa Bear. While a very beautiful warm crease shade similar to MAC Saddle, it was a little powdery to my fingers. They all apply very beautifully on the lids so it wasn't a huge let-down.


Here's another view (Peach Smoothie is not showing) where you can really see the subtle differences between all of the matte shades I bought. The strange thing about MUG shadows is that they last much longer than my MAC shadows on the lid (around 2-3 hours more.) None of them are patchy, chalky, or drier than MAC eyeshadows. For $5.99, you can build a bigger collection for half the price!


I wouldn't say that these are of excellent quality...but very good eyeshadows for the price. Meaning, they perform a little bit better than MAC eyeshadows but aren't the best you can get on the market. However, I find them perfect for every day wear and don't cost too much to build a complete palette. 

Will I be purchasing more? Only a few. I don't need all of the colors available and I do enjoy MAC's variety of colors much more. However, these are perfect for a starter kit. If you have a warm complexion, or love warm browns for the crease, MUG's matte formula is excellent for the price. 

xo Be



No comments: