First Look| NARS Audacious Lipsticks in Rita and Juliette


Here's an urban legend for you: a silly woman chanted "I don't need any more lipsticks" three times in front of her vanity and two new NARS Audacious lipsticks ($32) appeared. Talk about frightening!

Yes, I'd swatched them before in stores, attempting to find a few shades that were unique or stunning or at least flattering to justify the price tag. I had my eyes on several: Brigitte, Liv, Charlotte, Fanny, and Janet. When I wandered in Sephora on the last day of the VIB/Rouge sale, however, most of these shades were so out of stock they put away the tester bullet. 


I chose Rita, a timeless true red, and Juliette, a coral pink with a strong white base. These lipsticks are reformulated with magnetic closure and sleek metal packaging. They are also bloody expensive and wouldn't have been purchased if it wasn't for the discount.

The formulation of these new lipsticks have genuinely surprised me. I couldn't tell if it was the exorbitant price tag or hype talking when the Audacious were released, but they are truly comfortable and quality lipsticks.

The key to (and genius of) this lipstick is to wear it alone over a drier primer or lip liner rather than a balm. You don't need one! Even with my chronically chapped lips these glided on like a dream. With a balm underneath you are guaranteed bleeding outside of the lip lines. If need be, you can pat a thin balm on top of the lip color.

I would also suggest blotting to take off some pigment, since they are *very* pigmented and your risk of clown mouth is high if it smears. 

As for wear time, they endure your cuppa joe but won't last through a meal. I almost prefer it to be this way, as long wearing lip colors almost always hurt my lips and wear off unevenly, no matter how hard I try to eat as delicately as a bird. You can reapply on top of existing color with no problem, but I noticed no staining. They are neither drying nor moisturizing. 




Here is Rita in natural lighting with one swipe and MAC Cherry lipliner underneath. I don't own many true reds since I'm afraid of looking too bold but this red is very sophisticated. 



Juliette is a whole 'notha story. It's very white based, making my lips invoke images of Nicki Minaj rather than a fresh spring outing in a rose garden. I personally adore it, even if naysayers say I could find a more flattering color. For what? I think this will be a great one to rock with very warm blush and eyeshadow or a graphic white eyeliner. 

Yup, I'm ready to be a lipstick person again. I don't *need* lipsticks, but they bring me the most joy to wear.

xo Be














2 comments:

shortylegsbeauty said...

Both of these are so darn lovely... I really love Rita though cause Im a sucker for red lipsticks :) The prize tag is really crazy though so I guess it is a good thing I can´t get my hands on these where I live or my wallet would cry ;)
Im a new subbie btw, love your blog :)
xx

Unknown said...

Thanks for being a sub! Means a lot to me that someone out there is reading this :P

They are...phenomenal! I was sure it was hype but after trying these two I've already picked up two more (Anita and Charlotte). So yes, they are addictive and highly flammable to your wallet :'D