Review| NARS Virtual Domination Palette (Limited Edition)


There's still time to pick up the NARS Virtual Domination Palette ($65). 

This is my first speshul holiday palette from NARS and I'm very impressed with the quality, even with somewhat mixed reviews. I'm left wanting more from the highlighter, but the rest doesn't disappoint. 

If we're talking aesthetics, the packaging is hefty in weight and slim in looks. There's a full sized mirror, a secure latch, and a wondrously artistic design on top of the iconic NARS logo. I notice these things in packaging because they make or break my daily experience with cosmetics.

I believe Final Cut is the star of this palette, since it's the most newly released single from the brand. I've been looking for a pastel light pink for ages and Sex Fantasy fits the bill. I've also heard that Laguna is a favorite bronzers for many, many people from fair to tan skin. 


Look how new...those hatchmarks.... I've decided to dig my grubby fingers into pan to get swatches for you...so read on.


These swatches are over bare skin with several passes (back and forth) in various lighting. 

This is direct sunlight. You can really see the texture of the blushes in this shot. Sex Fantasy is on the chalky/powdery side for my skintone. Deep Throat is surprisingly less shimmery than in pan, and Miss Liberty (the highlighter) is ultra chunky!


This is natural lighting indoors. The colors are pigmented and long lasting on the skin. I don't see a total departure from single pan blushes that are in NARS' permanent collection. I often use a natural hair brush and tap lightly on the surface of the pan as not to overdo things.



And again, in indoor natural lighting. I really appreciate how big the bronzer pan is compared to the rest since I go through bronzer very quickly regardless of the seasons. Laguna is not too warm to be used as a contour but also warm enough to be a bronzer. It doesn't contain any large particles of glitter or shimmer.



If you're a regular collector of these special edition palettes, it's probably redundant to keep on buying palettes with Laguna, Deep Throat, or Orgasm repeatedly. In fact, what's wrong with you NARS? 

On the other hand, if you've never had a chance to play with NARS blushes, this palette is a great introduction. They're very pigmented, long lasting, and somewhat easy to blend. I'm not a huge fan of the chunky highlighter in the palette, but the other blushes are very flattering to a wide spectrum of skintones and undertones. 

xo Be


No comments: