First Look| Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless Foundation and Powder


Welcome to Spring 2015, the year of demi-matte drugstore foundations!

I had previously purchased and reviewed the Maybelline Infallible Pro Matte line, but the Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless release is another huge contender. Not to mention, both the powder and foundation retails for $5.99 to $7.99 each and there are 16 shades in the foundation range and 8 power choices.

I picked up 120 Classic Ivory in both the powder and foundation, because if my memory serves me right, I used to be 120 in the original formulation at NC20-25. 120 is a touch darker than NC20. No, it's not yellow toned enough but it does lean yellow in comparison to the rest of the line. Both of these products are neutral on my olive skin.


Compared to the Pro-Matte, this foundation:
  • Doesn't come with a pump. It's on the thicker side, so you have to shake the product towards the cap.
  • Dries down much quicker on the skin. I have to work in very small sections and blend furiously before it sets. It's streaky with my fingers and very artificial with a brush. I like using a Beauty Blender.
  • Has less coverage (around light-medium) but can be built up if you work in thin layers. 
  • Is  much less yellow and more neutral. I wish it was more olive-yellow, but you can't ask for much at this price. And since when am I a "classic ivory"...?
  • Is MORE matte. Yup, this stuff is borderline powdery after the initial satin finish. It's a velvet finish on the skin and looks great IF you don't have any dry spots, flaking skin (nightmarish with this foundation), or dehydrated patches. It's NOT kind to my under eye creasing. 
  • However, since the texture is so light, it doesn't settle into my pores or laugh line. I wouldn't say it completely hides pores, but it does minimize them slightly.
  • Is MORE long wearing. Yup, you read that correctly. I'm not sure if it's because its coverage is more sheer, but I wore this foundation to the gym and it was still on my face afterwards for 6 more hours. I think it has to do with the fact that my skin is normal to dry. It seems to mattify and become more powdery as the day goes on!

Here is the foundation and powder after an hour of wear. I'm a true normal skin type at the moment, and this foundation gives a natural matte finish that has an obvious powder finish in person. These photos were taken in natural indoor lighting. 


If you look closely around my nose you can see slight "cakiness". My undereyes also look very dry and creased. You can also see that while the color is neutral it isn't a horrendous mis-match with my neck.


I have to credit the glow on my cheeks to MAC Stereo Rose MSF, but the rest of the face is set with the Fit Me powder. It looks very glowy for a "matte" foundation. 

I don't care for the Maybelline powder as much as the L'oreal Pro-Matte version. This powder:
  • Is much chalkier and not as creamy to the finger when swatched.
  • Is much sheerer.
  • Gives a more powdery matte look to the skin.  
  • Has the same powder puff and mirror set up on the back of the pan.
Those who are looking to truly mattify their oily skin may enjoy this powder, but you can get the same results from Rimmel Stay Matte for half the price... However, its compact is excellent for touch-ups throughout the day.

If you're someone with normal to oily skin, this foundation gives a light coverage but truly velvet matte finish to the skin. It wears well through sweat and humidity and doesn't break down into patches or streaks on the face after a full day. Overall, I think that the shade range can be improved upon, but the price makes this a great contender for light coverage/matte finish foundations in the drugstore. As for the powder you can find something that works just as well to control oil for much less; it isn't worth a repurchase.

What are your thoughts? Do you prefer the L'oreal or Maybelline release this Spring? Are you dry skinned and eternally frustrated? Let me know!

xo Be










No comments: