First Look| MAC Prolong Wear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation


The time has come for me to give a detailed, in depth review for the newly released MAC Wear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation ($32). 


I couldn't quite tell if it was marketed toward oily or dry skinned people. In any case, it's supposed to be waterproof and really long wearing and all that jazz.

You're not getting a full 1 oz of product (just .85 oz) and MAC has declared that you can also see this as an over-sized concealer tube, if you will. Ha! At least the bottle is a sanitary squeeze-tube with a narrow opening so that you can't be too eager in the morning. 

I went in stores for a shade match, because the original MAC PLW is notoriously peachy in their NC range. I'm just too olive at NC20-25 and NC35+ and the sweet spot for MAC foundations, at least for me, exists only at NC30. For this formulation, NC35 was much darker and too beige-grey while NC25 looked ghostly pale. 

Besides the shade match (not olive enough) issue, this foundation is a winner in my book. If you're looking for a beefy version of their classic Face and Body, this is it. Why? 

  • If you want waterproof... it's in the name. I have to use an oil cleanser to remove it properly at the end of every work day.
  • You want coverage with none of the weight of Studio Fix or PLW? This does the trick! It's not ULTRA lightweight on the skin like F&B, but it doesn't feel like a mask either.
  • Best of all, you get the same satin/skin-like finish of F&B with MOAR coverage. I'm talking about a solid medium coverage that can be build-able to full if you use two thin coats. 


Here's the first proof. This is me after a freshly applied coat. I don't have a setting powder on top or a primer/lotion underneath. My skin looks even without the need for concealer, because all of my redness is evened out. By evened out, I mean non-existent. The coverage could be considered full if you don't have consistent hyper-pigmentation or blemishes across the face. 


I thought the finish would be a semi-matte or full matte based on raves from oily skinned people, but it's surprisingly satin and skin-like. I think that truly oily gals would need to set this down with a powder, because even my T-zone got a little dewy as the day progressed. 

Here it is after 4 hours on that same day. I noticed No fading or separation on my chin (the most oily spot) and caking around dry spots near my nose. It looks fresh but could use a touch up of powder. Keep in mind that I have dehydrated/dry skin! 


For my drier under-eyes, I have learned to adjust the amount of product laid down. I can use a pea sized amount with a damp Beauty Blender, round buffing brush, or even flat paddled foundation brush (as the Sales Assistant did above) with marvelous results. There's no streaking or patchiness and the foundation is creamy enough to spread out on the skin. 

Quick Recap: 

  • Satin finish. You should set it down to mattify the skin, but it won't migrate. 
  • Waterproof, very long wearing. It look freshly applied after 7-8 hours (from a human distance) and I only noticed wear after 10-12 hours. Crazy! 
  • Medium coverage. Can be built to full if you use light layers.
  • Can be applied with any tools you have on hand: sponge, brush, fingers, etc. 
  • Creamy texture that's not too thick or runny, and definitely not heavy on the skin.
  • Suitable for drier skin to combination oily skin, not for either extremes. It CAN pick up on large flakes and won't control oil on its own. 
  • For olive toned girls: this might not be a *perfect* match but I can blend a little down my neck and match it to my tanned chest. 


Here's another intriguing picture. This is the same foundation with a copious amount of MAC Fix+ underneath and on top. I am on the drier side but love a full coverage foundation that won't age my skin. This is it. If you moisturize and prime appropriately, you'll have a flawless base for the entire work day into your night. Partay 5lyf. 




In the end, if you're truly olive you may find that this still leans a tad peachy than you would like. Even though I don't have a complete shade match, I still enjoy the formula very much for its long-wearing capabilities and ability to last and last on the skin to cover up blemishes. It's also such a versatile base product for any skin type!

xo Be























No comments: