Review| Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder in Translucent




As my makeup skillz improve over time and I no longer struggle with basic tasks like picking up loose powder with a fluffy brush, I find myself furthering an appreciation for loose setting powders. 


Not only are they messy, dusty, and resemble cocaine, they are also so finely milled that it's harder to detect them on the skin especially when you want to just set your makeup and not point out every fine line and pore holes on your mug. 

Enter the cult favorite from Laura Mercier, the Loose Setting Powder in Translucent ($35) which comes in a tub that's the anti-thesis of portable. However, they boast it as light reflecting and non-drying which is perfect  as I maintain on the drier side of normal even in the summers of NorCal thanks to a lack of humidity in the air. 
I also wanted to compare it to the Urban Decay Naked Skin setting powder and the NARS Light Reflecting version in the Loose variety. Could setting powders really be all that different from one another when all they are meant to do is the simple task of setting down liquid base products? 



Many holes. Much mess. This is the main reason why I despised loose setting powders before. The moment you tip the jar or turn it upside down, god speed. There will be a bevy of product that will stick to the nooks of the jar unless you tape down one side. 


Here it is swatched on the hand. Not exactly translucent so far, right? The powder doesn't feel as "velvety" as my Urban Decay version. In fact, it feels a tad like soft corn starch on your fingers. 

Once you blend it in, however, it's virtually undetectable besides the fact that it has helped smooth out your skin so well that you look poreless. The translucent version sells because, well, it won't disturb or alter your base products or even blush if you choose to apply that first. It feels softer on the face than on my hands and more glide-y, too, if that's a real word. Your face just feels smoother once you dust it on. 



The real trick to making textural issues soften and disappear is to roll a velour puff or dry makeup sponge in the powder and then dab and roll it onto the skin. That way, you get the maximum amount of product onto the skin and fill in pores at the same time. And don't worry, there's no way you can overdo this powder. 

Although I specifically chose this because I didn't want too much of oil control, I found that it kept a demi-matte/ somewhat luminous finish on my face when I applied it all over. I found it too drying for my nose as it accentuated flakes and dry spots there, but I didn't have a problem with it on my t-zone. In fact, my skin stayed rather natural looking and shine free even in 90 degree heat with this powder on. 

That's not to say this is as light reflecting as it claims. I didn't notice any flashback in pictures or some other worldly glow emitting from my skin from this powder. It looks like your skin but better, but not your skin on Photoshop crack. I find that the NARS LRP has a slight edge to this product in terms of its ultra finely milled texture and glowing effect on dry skin. If you are truly normal, the Laura Mercier version will do fine. 

The best part is the immense jar of product that you get. Sure, it's bulky. But are you going to need to touch up every four hours? Then this isn't for you. It's not marketed as an oil controlling powder and shouldn't be treated as such either. (If you want oil controlling, look to Urban Decay's Naked version.) 

The Loose Setting Powder will keep your liquid foundation from slipping and sliding around. I found that my liquid foundations clung on much better when set down with this product. For the price and amount of product you get, I think it's worth an investment. 

xo Be





No comments: