Review| Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow

I had a mediocre stint with the Dolce Vita quad by Charlotte Tilbury, but my curiosity still got the better of me. 

The Filmstar Bronze and Glow ($65) is a duo of, you guessed it, a sculpting and highlighting powder. Even if reviews are mixed for her other products, many people adore this duo and hail it as "perfect" for fair to medium complexions. 



This product is best for those who don't want to look like they've put effort into finding their own cheekbones. In broad daylight, a heavy brown/grey stripe across your face is pretty damn obvious. This duo makes it easy to get away with daytime contouring, even more so than with the Kevyn Aucoin sculpting powder and Candlelight highlighter. 


I really enjoy how enthusiastic I can be with my tapered brush and the Sculpt pan. Seriously, I could swirl my brush in the product all day and go straight onto my face, but the end result is never obvious or muddled. The sculpt powder is very light in color, but ultra buttery in texture (read: blendable) and doesn't drag or become a powdery mess on the face. There's a hint of micro-shimmer in pan but it only adds a slight glow on the face. 

The highlight is subdued and neutral champagne that leans neither too warm or cool. I don't think it advertises my pores at all. In fact, it's much more of a sheen than shimmer meaning no disco ball at this party. 

For how much you're paying, the quality is reflected in both the packaging and product. The rose gold casing has some heft, opens and closes with elegance, and includes a full mirror inside. It's not the same cheapo plastic feeling as her eyeshadow quads and yet fits nicely in a makeup bag. 

Did I mention the completely classy packaging? See below. 


The outer shell breaks in half. 


Then, a fancy sheath envelopes the compact. 


Instructions!

Isn't this sort of packaging the reason why we pay $65 for this compact? It's the attention to details that makes or breaks a first impression on a product. 

Below I have swatched the compact along with similar sculpting powders and highlighters. Sadly, they are in their own pans and not able to be combined together to be taken along in my purse. I have TheBalm Mary Lou Manizer, KA Candlelight, the Glow shade, the Sculpt shade, KA Sculpting Powder in Medium, and Dolce and Gabbana blush in Tan. 


In direct sunlight, Bronze and Glow is absolutely virginal in comparison to the rest of the products swatched. It's soft, very light, and natural even with 2 swipes. Yes, it's "no-makeup makeup" for contouring! Oh me? I woke up with these cheekbones. While it looks orange in comparison to my two other sculpting shades, it's actually much more natural when you blend into the skin. 


Here's a shot in indirect sunlight and outdoors. Don't get me wrong, it's not light to the point of not showing up on skintones past NC20. I am hovering between NC25-30 and find it to be noticeable on the face. But is noticeable the right word? It's there...or is it? I think this compact would suit anyone from N10-N35, but medium to tan complexions will find this lackluster or even non-existent on their cheeks no matter how much they reapply. 

Did I mention it lasts all day on the skin? No need to whip it out and reapply, as fancy as the packaging makes you feel.

If you want an every day contour compact that's as elegant as it is effective...look no further. 

xo Be

























1 comment:

Miss Renee said...

This stupid palette is making me want to contour. And I never contour.