First Look| ColourPop Eyeshadows

ColourPop eyeshadows came onto my makeup radar when everyone and their mom raved about them on YT. A $5 dupe for Chanel Illusion D'Ombres??? Seriously. It pains me to spend money on cream shadows due to my unnerving paranoia about such things "pulling from the edges" and being "hard to the touch" after a month of usage. 

*shudder*

But cream shadows hold glitter and shimmer the best and reduces fallout greatly. Not to mention, they're the easiest to swipe on with a ring finger and will still look multi-dimensional as if you've spent an entire ten minutes using actual brushes to blend and mix colors.

I appreciate the simple packaging with a clear lid... but it's no Chanel logo.


I hemmed and hawwed, but with free shipping over $35 and so much positive feedback, I had to cave and order a few to test the hype. I picked up:

Bae: A black with sparkling green flecks in pan, but a shimmery purple swatched. It's stunning and perfect for intense looks!
Pop Rocks: A multi-colored pan with beige, pink, blue, and purple swirls. Swatches blue.
On the Rocks: A copper with gold flecks. My favorite of the bunch because it's so simple yet complex in itself.
Desert: A simple neutral brown that looks matte in pan. It still swatches with glitter but can be used as a transitional shade.
So Quiche: A strange taupe-olive-grey that's not my usual style. It's not too cool and can be a casual smokey eye. 
Game Face: An orangey copper with gold flecks. Another favorite. 
Sequin: A true rose gold that leans a tad pink.



Cliff Notes: They're all very complex and pigmented eyeshadows that are perfect for supplementing a matte eye look yet still looks amazing on their own. For five bucks, you'll be hard pressed to find a comparable product. Yes, they're better (way more pigmented) than Maybelline Color Tattoos and pretty much the same price.

And now, a moment of honesty: I did see some shadows have minor "pulling" but none were dried out when swiped. I'll have to report back to you if any dries out past the point of no return before I get through half of the pot.

This is indoors with natural lighting.


I've swatched all of these with one pass each and no primer underneath, using clean fingers. The lovely design in pan disappears when you crack in, revealing its truly creamy texture. It's not similar to L'oreal Infallibles eyeshadows at all, which are creamy to the touch but still powdery on the lids. (Well, not powdery, but you get what I mean.)

I've heard of some complaining that the swatches are way more pigmented that how they look on the eyes. I half-agree. Yes, you'll lose some of the pigment when you swipe across the lid. I advise you swirl your finger into the pan and then sort of pat/swipe with short strokes on the eyelids to get maximum pigment. A synthetic flat shader brush works,too.

This is outdoors with overcast natural lighting. These pictures don't do justice to ColourPop because they don't capture the often multi-color sparkles in each shadow. Oh yeah, did I mention $5 bucks? Let me say it again. 



Aside from being quality products for affordable prices, ColourPop (an LA native local company/they operate online) boasts that these shadows are cruelty-free. That's another plus in my book. 

The only downside I can see is the "no returns unless broken in shipment" policy and no tracking with shipment. Still, let me assure you, they package carefully. Each shadow is bubble-wrapped in their own plastic sleeves and heavy bubble wrap. Then they're all placed inside a white box (with a handwritten personalized note!) which is inside a cardboard shipping box. Boxception. 



Again, be warned that they are ultra-sparkly and at the least very shimmery and may emphasize mature lids. I didn't notice any creasing with or without primer and minimal fading by 6 hours. I honestly noticed no difference in quality in comparison to my Chanel IDo besides wear time. 

These live up to the hype and you can also pick up lipsticks and lip liners from their website (again, $5 for everything) and fulfill the shipping requirement if you're not a huge fan of eyeshadows. If you try some and really dislike them (and you're fancy as fuck) you can go ahead and throw them away (so cheap, even the plebes would right?) or donate to friends and family. I really doubt you will. 

xo Be

No comments: