First Look| Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara

Does Maybelline have a pact with God to release one new and awesome mascara per month? This new bad boy is called the Lash Sensational mascara (around $8.99 at Target) and I've heard rumors that it's a dupe for the Benefit Roller Lash mascara that was also recently launched. 



Truth is, I like most mascaras and therefore make a horrible critic when it comes to lash enhancing products. Anything that can take my crummy lashes to presentable without smudging, flaking, or smearing is already a plus in my book. I also always buy the "blackest black" option, and sometimes waterproof if it strikes my fancy. I don't care much about my lashes being perky and curled these days, so I didn't look for the waterproof version. 

I also have 10+ backups and samples of mascaras in a box waiting to be used, so I wasn't too eager to purchase new mascara until I heard the claim that it lengthens like crazy. The packaging is rather...blah, and I didn't look too closely at the brush wand. 



It's a plastic wand that's slightly curved, meaning it grabs literally all of my lashes without smearing onto my lids or inner corner (black eye boogers are NOT sexy!) If I flip it upside down, it fits underneath my eyes and gets my lower lashes coated nicely with a light flick of the wrist. 

As for flaking and smudging, I noticed no flaking and smudging only after a very long day of work full of eye wiping and sighing into my palms and generally throwing bitchfits about minor things at the office. The formula is neither too wet or too dry. 

Another plus: it doesn't have any crazy strong chemical smell that makes me sneeze (like L'oreal Voluminous Butterfly which is beautiful yet tragically smeary every single time.) It layers well and gives you some play time to add another coat before it sets, without being too wet as to transfer onto your lids or under eyes while you wait. 

Another great thing: I do notice a slight curl even without using my lash curler before hand. I think the reason is that the little teeth on the wand combs through your lashes, from base to tip. It's really hard for this mascara to look "clumpy" but I would advise you wipe off any excess product from the wand. 

Have you tried this one? I love mascaras from the drugstore...they're always cheap thrills.

xo Be

3 comments:

AmyH said...

Now that is a useful and good recommendation--mascara that survives a bonkers day at the office! Great review.

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading! :)

bug pin said...

A+ review! Thanks:)