Edit| Blue Liquid Lipsticks


Blue lipsticks are not groundbreaking, but it sure as hell takes a big set to walk down the street with a blue pout and zero f*cks given. I have three options to show you that's readily available in the common market: Ulta, Sephora, Beautylish, etc.

First and foremost, I truly think that blue is incredibly hard to make opaque in a liquid lipstick formula. You'll see that these lipsticks manage to cover up my natural lip pigment, but there's just a hint of skin showing through underneath even with multiple meticulously applied layers. Did I mention that upkeep is a nightmare? Instead of a pink or red stain on your chin, imagine a glop of blue pigment instead! Maintenance, poise, and never eating or drinking are major keys to success here.

The first formula that I tried is the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick ($20) in Echo. In every other color that I've tried, this formula is ultra reliable, doesn't flake or dry up the lips, and their opacity is always top notch with a single swipe. HOWEVER, I almost lost hope in humanity when I tried Echo. It felt comfortable on the lips, but I couldn't get full opacity even after 3 layers. The product also wanted to cling right onto lip lines and wouldn't spread evenly on the lips. Boo, fail.

The slightly teal quality to the color and slight satin finish gave this product a unique feel. It did not dry down to a truly matte finish.


The second formula is the newly released Too Faced Melted Matte Liquid Lipstick ($21) in Who's Zoomin Who, which was another blind purchase. It dried to a VERY matte finish on the back of my hand in Sephora and it didn't budge under running water or flake to bits. All hopes were dashed, however, when I saw the rancid Temptalia review.

This one is opaque enough with two coats, but it is absolutely horrific to wear with dry lips and will smear around your face when applied on top of a lip balm. I couldn't eat a meal (even one without noticeable grease) without getting ample transfer on my food, straw, face, napkin, husband, etc. By the end of the night, I rushed home to take off the excess, which had become a flaking patchy mess. My lips were dead.






Finally, I sought redemption in the Jeffree Star Liquid Lipstick ($18) in Blue Velvet. The formula is, of course, the best in the business. It was thin, lightweight, easy to spread on evenly, and opaque in two coats. It is a lot more vibrant on the lips than the other two brands, and more colorful than gothic. It's still not the *perfect* formula in my opinion, but it went a lot further for a blue lipstick.

In my humble opinion, I would definitely not wear blue lipstick to any event where I couldn't closely monitor my lips for smears and bleeds. I did wear these looks in public, and while well received by others, my husband gave me nicknames such  as "demon lady" and "girl from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." All in good jest. 

In any case, I couldn't really care less! Blue is a bold color that would probably look rockin' at the club, provided that you remain a classy sober person and can touch up your lips every hour. 

xo Be