First Look| SUQQU Summer 2016 EX-31 Gyoukou


 Jesus, take the wheel. Is it time that SUQQU entices Western beauty consumers with pigmentation, intensity, and rusty neutrals that are not quite conservative enough for the office? 

The Summer 2016 release also contains EX-30 Hekikai with its bold chartreuse and navy for an eternal pool party option. I picked up EX-31 Gyoukou because: ORANGE. I've never seen such a bright shade from SUQQU before. 


In my humble opinion, I've never felt a silkier formulation from this brand. All of these eyeshadows are incredibly smooth and easy to blend, and the pigmentation is nowhere near "too sheer." That orange shade alone rivals Kat Von D for its pigmentation (one swipe is enough!) and blendability on the lids. The warm gold can be used sheer (one swipe) or built up for intensity (two swipes!) As always, I use the stark white to set the lids and dark brown to add depth to the outer V. 

This is indirect lighting. 


This is under flash photography. 


Direct sunlight. 


I had a friend help me pick this quad up in London for  ‎£45 which is roughly $65 USD. It's 'spensive as always, but you'll have to understand that the glamour of SUQQU is in its understatements. While this quad may look radical for Asian consumers who value neutral sheer washes on the lid, Western consumers may be balking at the price tag for perfectly normal pigmentation. 

I try not to "justify" expensive makeup to myself and others, but there's a magical realism in each SUQQU quad. If you appreciate how kind Viseart satin and shimmer finish eyeshadows are to mature lids, you'll understand why the fanbase for SUQQU is only expanding outside of Asia. The colors are well coordinated and newbie friendly, and they give just enough impact in real life to add depth to your eyes without being obvious eye makeup, if that makes sense. I'll drag out my Western eyeshadows for the weekends, but these quads are appropriate to wear to the office and never distracting with obvious chunky glitter. 

If you're looking to try SUQQU but have been disheartened by their general "sheerness", now is the time to try these "bolder" quads. 


There will always be a disclaimer that SUQQU shadows photograph wretchedly, but Gyoukou is the exception to the rule!

FOTD Details

I'm wearing the white as a base, the gold gently packed on the mobile lids, orange in the crease and extended in a wing shape, with the dark brown to deepen my outer V. Minimal mascara. For brows, I'm wearing the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Medium Brown with her brow powder in Granite to fill in bald spots. 

My base is Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Gel in Buttercream with NARS RCC in Custard for hormonal blemishes. I've set it with Too Faced Primed and Poreless compact powder. 

I'm wearing Benefit Dallas blush, Physician's Formula Butter Bronzer, and Laura Geller Gilded Honey as a highlight. 

Lips brought to you by L'oreal Pro Matte Gloss in Bare Attraction



xo Be